Sunday, July 20, 2014

seafood and tiki skirts



Top ~ Deadly Dames Vamp Top in Black
Skirt ~ Jenny Skirt in Tiki
Petticoat ~ Malco Modes (582!)
Shoes ~ BAIT Ida's in Coral

Today was my first time trying out my banging new petticoat. Marcus's dad wanted to go to this seafood brunch at a restaurant near the beach, and he asked everyone to dress up! It's a lot bigger than I'm used to wearing (which is saying something, I guess, because full skirts are pretty standard for me) and I did indeed brush a few people with it on my way to and from our table today at brunch. Also, in the car, it took up my seat + the middle one.

I'll probably try the next-fluffiest down for more everyday outfits, but this was a special occasion so I didn't mind feeling like a cupcake for a few hours. I will say that this petticoat was, being made of chiffon, incredibly comfortable and swishy. It's fun to wear even by itself! 

Now that we're settled, I'm looking forward to getting some more posts written. I've been sort of lax about playing with my camera because I had it packed up for awhile, but I'm thinking it's time to start using it some more. We visit so many exciting places on weekends, and even though I'm very happy to have my phone on me to take the occasional picture, I really should try to get more practice in with my Canon. 

Side note: I can't decide if I want to hem this cute tiki skirt. From some angles, it looks like it's about ankle-length on me (it's not--it comes to maybe mid-calf). In other pictures I've seen, it's supposed to be closer to the knee, so it might be worth trying to make it a little bit more proportionate! Conversely, maybe it's the style and I'll just need to get used to it. Either way, I was very excited to finally get to wear it someplace special! 

3 comments:

  1. I so love the look of petticoats, but I cannot bring myself to wear mine out in public. I bought it for my senior prom, but that was the only time I wore it. I suppose it will have to wait until I have another special occasion! As for hemming your skirt, I think I'd definitely say you should hem it. It looks like it hangs a bit over your petticoat, and I think it would look really great if they were the same length!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I feel the same way about petticoats. I wish I'd had the courage to buy a fluffy dress for prom! I went sort of boring there. And as for the hemming, I agree--the trials of being short! Hopefully I can find an affordable tailor! :)

      Delete
  2. You look adorable! My Jenny skirt is also around mid calf and I'm 5'7", I'm also looking into hemming it. Also, I think this skirt demands a petticoat, it looks so perfectly full.

    ReplyDelete