Monday, August 12, 2013

{ opinions: on department stores }

Does anyone mind if I talk about this for a minute?

Because my views on clothing have completely shifted over the last year or two, and I think it's really interesting to examine the fashion world and their products as a result.

It's no secret that if I had it my way, my whole closet would be made up of one-of-a-kind, vintage-inspired, printed garments that were predominantly skirts and dresses. I find great joy in accumulating clothes that are versatile enough to suit the workplace or a day out--while I can certainly respect the fact that a lot of places require formal business-wear, I see nothing wrong with wearing colors and exciting patterns, especially if they're made suitable for a workplace! Really, how can you complain about a knee-length printed dress with a solid cardigan and cute heels? Maybe some pretty curls on the side or a nice updo? Even if you can complain about that, you shouldn't. That's adorable and it shouldn't pose any threats to someone getting their job done.

I digress.

I love getting outfit inspiration from places like Modcloth or Anthropologie. I frequently troll sites including wwzdw.com (they have exact matches and similar alternatives for all those cute New Girl outfits!) and frantically await new episodes of Once Upon a Time so I can try to scope out more Mary-Margaret styles. I can't be the only one! The thing is, those people are highly paid actors, and they can afford those gorgeous brand-name clothes with no problem. It's certainly possible to find similar looks for less money, but not probable, and you have to get pretty lucky.

With that in mind, yesterday I visited the mall for the first time in awhile with my mom. I had a list of silhouettes and styles in mind, and I hoped I might find clothes along the lines of the ones I have bookmarked in a list longer than I care to admit!

I hadn't been to a department store in years; for awhile, stores like Forever 21 and American Eagle were my go-to shops. In my teens, places like Macy's or Dillard's had seemed too "old" or "high-end" for me. Maybe it was time to give them a try! After all, the commercials made them look so classy and glamorous!

Sadly, I have to report that my personal experience was quite disappointing. I quickly found the junior's dress section, but the selection was limited. (It's harder than you'd think to find simple a-line dresses, with or without sleeves!) My mother picked out a few for me in mint, royal blue, and red. I was excited to try them on after selecting what should have been my size--however, I struggled to get each dress up over my hips! (Generally, if a dress is my size, this isn't an issue). Following that, it was an effort to zip up the garments--I could hardly breathe! Even in two or three sizes up, the fits were less than favorable.

I couldn't understand why this was the case--thanks to a newfound interest in modern-vintage shopping, I have a really good grasp on my measurements and how they should translate into clothing sizes. Obviously, depending on whether specific brands run large or small, you want to size up or down, but it's typically going to be pretty consistent. I can say with pretty good certainty that, on average, I'm a small, but I found myself floundering in department stores, unsure what would work at all. In some styles, a 00 drowned me--in others, even an 8 was quite tight. Also, my biggest issue at my height is always having to hem things. I've slowly become more accustomed to longer lengths (think knee-skimming or a few inches above) as casual wear, with some exceptions. I'm not against shorter styles at all--my shorts are all high-waisted, and about half my skirts are too--but even I felt a little limited in movement with these dresses. That was certainly a first!

No wonder so many people hate shopping for clothes! Once you start gravitating away from the "younger" stores, as I've heard them called, there's a whole new sizing standard, and it can make finding things you like much more difficult. Being 21, I find myself in an awkward spot where Forever 21-esque establishments (I understand the irony fully) are too young for me, but shops like White House/Black Market, Talbot's, or even Anthropologie are still a bit overwhelming and don't exactly carry the modern-vintage styles I'm after.

Obviously, your personal taste and individual body type will determine where is best to get your clothes. I have issues finding things because I'm hourglass-shaped and short, which contradicts a lot of today's styles. Along with that, I have very simple preferences, and am often frustrated to see what could have been a perfectly cute red dress ruined by rhinestones, studs, unnecessary zippers, glitter, or strange cuts in the fabric. I haven't bought a plain blouse or cardigan in months because I just can't find any! (If you know of some good, affordable shops, let me know! ;) ) I'm not against department stores. Not even a little bit. However, this vintage-loving girl was personally a tad disappointed with the experience. I wasn't actually able to find anything on my list, and the things that came close would have been cheaper to buy on sale online anyway.

(That's actually one more thing that's changing about me--I used to pride myself on being THE bargain-hunter, and refused to spend over $10 on any one item. Now, upon going through my closet over the years and realizing how many things I bought solely because they were cheap, I've decided I'd rather spend a little more on fewer pieces I love. I was shocked to see that the cost of these items I used to purchase without really loving added up to far more than I spend now. I'm still getting used to that--a lot of my friends will raise an eyebrow when they inquire how much I bought my new dress/skirt/shoes for. However, I'm pretty proud of how I manage my money, and I still utilize plenty of discounts--and, at the end of the day, it's your business when it comes to how you spend your resources!)

That said, do any of you encounter similar issues when shopping in stores? I enjoy going out and browsing around, but more and more lately, I find myself happier to save up for choice pieces online and read at home instead. Where is your go-to place to get clothes that suit you perfectly? Do you prefer to shell out more money for less things, or do you find that method flawed? I'd love to hear about your experiences!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    So happy you decided to stop by my blog and comment- I really enjoyed reading through this post and can def. relate! I could probably go on and on when it comes to this topic but one thing I can tell you with certainty is that now- more than ever- I have decided to go for quality over quantity and spend a little more on less clothing items. I find that this ensures that I only keep things that I LOVE in my closet rather than just like or think are a great deal- and in the long run that means less picking through my things and giving away to goodwill and more pieces that feel "me" and feel right for any day or occasion because I just love them that much! Clothes shopping can be rather frustrating, but I have found that certain styles fit my body well (A-line dresses, fit and flare, anything that fits my bust and waist well and flares at the hip) so I generally stay with those styles because then I don't have to worry about my hip measurement which is larger proportionally than my other two. I also scour Etsy and local boutiques for vintage and find those to be my favorite purchases- and actually a little easier fit wise because the clothes are usually posted with exact measurements which I can compare to my own. Hope this helps a little and ill def. be checking back to your blog! :)

    xo, Alyssa www.butterfliesonmars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by! I hope you enjoy my blog as I continue to work on it! :)

      I enjoyed reading your response--learning to choose clothes has been an adventure, especially now that I'm older and can finally start "building" a real, grown-up wardrobe instead of just pieces I know I won't care about in a year! I love A-line dresses and fit-and-flare too--I think those are some seriously adorable styles!

      I'm still venturing into Etsy, but I love seeing blog posts on people's great finds! :) Can't wait to read more of your blog too! Thanks again for taking the time!

      Delete