Saturday, August 10, 2013

{ saturday: baking scones! }




One of my favorite things to do in the mornings--on weekends especially--is bake special treats for everyone to wake up to. I've been thinking it would be fun to try sharing some of my most-loved recipes with all of you, because who wouldn't want to try making scones at least once? I don't have the cutest vintage kitchen with matching accessories like some of my favorite bloggers (yet!) but I still thought pictures might be fun and help illustrate the process for those of you who might not be too familiar with baking just yet!

I have to go ahead and credit this recipe for what I'm writing about today--it really lives up to its name. It's an excellent base, and you can adapt it literally any way you want to. I would pay special attention to the reviews, because I did find that reducing the amount of butter and baking powder yields a more favorable result. However, it's entirely up to you, which is why this is one of my most-used recipes.

The original uses currants (which sound delicious, but I've never actually seen any around here...) but so far I've tried blueberry, raspberry, chocolate chip, multi-berry lemon, and now, as of today, blueberry chocolate chip! I'm sure there's a whole other realm of savory scones I have yet to try, but that's for another day.

Scones can seem kind of daunting. Marcus and I used to go to this bakery in Flagstaff every Sunday for these huge ones that we had to split with a glass of milk. I always wanted to try making them, but they seemed to easy to mess up.

Not the case!

I went ahead and outlined the basics of how these scones are made, but for exact measurements, visit the instructions I linked above--I wouldn't want to steal all the attention away from the original author who was generous enough to share such a successful recipe!

You need basic ingredients for this:

  • Flour - I haven't tried anything so far except basic white all-purpose, but I'm really curious to experiment with wheat or coconut flour.
  • Sugar - what's really nice is that you don't use a whole lot, but you still get just the right amount of sweetness!
  • Butter - the recipe calls for five tablespoons, but I've always scaled back to three and they're still pretty decadent.
  • Baking powder - again, I'd consider using a teaspoon less than the recipe calls for.
  • Salt - pretty standard for baking.
  • Milk and sour cream - I actually always use plain fat-free yogurt in place of the sour cream, and it works wonderfully.
  • Any berries, chocolate chips, or other such toppings you desire! 
  • There's also an optional egg wash that includes one egg and a little milk. The idea is that you dust it over the scones before baking. However, I've tried it with and without this, and don't notice much of a difference either way. Up to you!
Here we go! A brief demonstration, because who doesn't like pictures?


Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl together: flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Make sure they're mixed well!


My personal favorite part: adding the butter! It seems to work best if you place your block of butter in the freezer, then grate it into the dry ingredients. It's really fun, and it looks really cool. Am I the only one who loves the color of butter?


Throw in your toppings. The recipe calls for something like 1/2 cup of currants, but I always end up adding more. Today I used blueberries and chocolate chips, and I think I might have just skipped measuring! ;)


Mix everything thoroughly. It's important to distribute the butter evenly so that every scone achieves maximum fluffiness!


Combine the yogurt and milk in a separate bowl. I like to whisk them, because it gives me an excuse to use mine. (Not a whole lot of recipes seem to require whisking anymore, which is really too bad...)


Pour the wet ingredients into your dry ones all at once, and mix them well. The recipe cautions against over-working the dough. So far, that's been avoided on my end, but I'm always a little nervous about either over-mixing them or risking leaving chunks of flour just sitting there. Eventually it'll all combine into one huge ball--and a lot of my berries exploded, turning the dough blue in some places!



Pull the dough apart and shape them into little balls on a baking sheet--I try to make them vaguely triangular, but you'll see that they never really turn out that way. It's best to let them rest for about 10 minutes to let the baking powder activate--I use that time to wash my dishes! Afterward, place those babies into the 400-degree oven!


After about ten to twelve minutes, they should be about done, but I know it depends on the oven. When they stop being squishy and start getting golden brown on top, you know it's almost time to enjoy them!


My household in particular enjoys them plain with lots of milk, but you can also serve with clotted cream (never seen that before, either, but it sounds delicious) and jam. My brother tried it with the jam once and decided it was only so-so.

There you have it! Scones are actually really easy and don't take very long at all. Chances are you'll try making them and immediately want to whip up another batch with other toppings. I know I'm looking forward to fall so that I can do pumpkin or cranberry! 

Let me know if you try this great recipe, and tell me how it turns out! What kind of fillings did you use? 

-Katie

4 comments:

  1. Katie, thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I love scones, and these looks deliiiiicious. And pumpkin scones sound amazing. I think blueberry ones would be wonderful with lemon curd (my favorite topping)! Following you now via Bloglovin' :)

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming by and following me! I admire your blog a ton and would love to be half as successful someday!

      I'll have to try the lemon curd idea--I've never even tasted it before!

      Delete
  2. Hi Katie! I actually found your blog through Modcloth's style gallery! You looked super cute in your swimsuit, btw, I wish I could find one just like it! I'm anxious about getting one from Modcloth...gotta get my beach body first, haha!

    These scones look yummy! I'm always looking for new baking projects, so thank you for sharing. I think I'm most eager to try the chocolate chip ones and maybe some blueberry scones...when I end up attempting them at school, I'll let you know how it went!

    Best wishes!

    Vic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! :) I'm so excited you decided to come by and read my blog! I hope you continue to like it as I work on making it better! ^^

      Thank you, I love my swimsuit too! It took me forever to just go ahead and buy it--I've NEVER owned such an expensive swimsuit! I hope you find one just as cute soon, and post pictures in the Style Gallery when you do!

      Can't wait to hear how the scones turned out!

      Delete