Wednesday, August 14, 2013

{ an outfit and an outburst }

[ warning: this post is long, and expresses a lot of annoyance and anger. if you prefer, you may simply skip ahead to the pictures or ignore this particular post; i hate to bring anyone down just because i'm having a rant! ]

I've been looking forward to doing my first outfit post! Unfortunately, all I have for you today is some subpar camera-phone pictures (they're not all like that, I promise!)

It was done sort of hastily because I wanted to make a point. To make that point, I have to share a brief story about my day.

In my house, I'm basically resident cook. I love putting together the grocery lists and shopping for my family. I'm responsible for dinner most nights, and I'm usually baking treats on weekends. That's all fine with me!

Today is Wednesday--at my neighborhood Sprouts, that means double the discounts. Everyone goes on Wednesdays. I enjoy Sprouts for their wide variety of affordable health foods; with a diabetic brother at home, I have to get creative! There I was, meandering around, sampling the free coffee and generally enjoying my day. I'd just come from signing paperwork for my new job (!) and I felt pretty excited, so naturally, I was in a good mood!

When I brought my items to the checkout, the woman in front of me wasn't too friendly--she scooted my bar over when I tried to start adding my items and glared a lot, but I figured she was probably just having a busy day. The cashier also didn't seem very interested in talking to me, giving short answers and avoiding eye contact. At one point, though, she looked up and suddenly seemed attentive.

"Where do you get those bows you put in your hair?" she asked. I answered happily that I make them. She followed up with more questions about how to put them together, which I was only too glad to answer. I was in the middle of explaining the clips I used (all while my items were still being scanned) when suddenly, I was interrupted.

"You do realize that those little bows make you look like you're about thirteen years old, don't you?" she said, in a tone I didn't consider to be the most friendly. I was at a loss for words, as this was the second time this week someone had so rudely commented on the way I looked (which I'll get into in a second). The cashier and bag boy both started laughing, at which point the cashier said, "yeah, I didn't know how to ask without being rude, but how old are you?"

"Twenty-one," I answered, trying very hard not to let my weariness at this question show.

"So you're legal and everything and still walking around dressed like that?" the lady behind me pressed. The laughter continued from all sides. I don't really remember anything else--I didn't answer back, I think I just smiled and tried to laugh politely. I paid for my items as quickly as possible before leaving to go find my car.

Let me explain a few things, because this situation comes up a lot. The responses I get are always the same, and I'd like to address them.

"Just say something rude right back! Tell that old bag her outfit made her look about twenty pounds heavier and see how she likes it! That'll shut her up!" 

I'm not the kind of person who will genuinely say something rude. I try very hard to maintain the politeness I was raised with. Even when I can think of anything truly snappy, nine times out of ten I won't say it. The woman behind me was wearing a very garish leopard-printed suit, and the first thing that came to my mind out of anger was that someone ought to tell her those hadn't been relevant since the 70's. Even as she was drawing all of this unwanted attention to me, I immediately felt bad for thinking so harshly. Obviously, she liked her outfit enough to wear it out, so who was I to judge? For all I know, this style is completely fashionable. I don't claim to be the most modern, and I probably don't know what I'm talking about anyway.

"Just take it as a compliment! You'll be thankful for those kinds of comments when you're forty!"

I hate this. I'm sure this is true to some extent--my grandmother and mom are living proof that this isn't going to stop anytime soon. However, the fact of the matter is, I'm not forty. I'm a twenty-one-year-old who has accomplished things I'm proud of. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent. Despite being occasionally down on myself, I know I have nice traits to offer. I don't think I should take someone's blatant rudeness as a compliment, especially when they don't mean it to be one.

"Don't take it so seriously!" 

I dislike this even more. For some reason, comments like this are written off by others, and I'm expected to simply ignore them. However, I don't see why it should be acceptable for anyone to take the time out of their day to interrupt what another person is doing just to say something negative. The only time I go out of my way to speak to someone I don't know is to compliment them. It's a foolproof way to make someone's day better. You're almost guaranteed a more friendly response if you say something nice. While many prefer to dismiss my feelings as dramatic, I feel that this is a form of harassment, especially if you continue with it despite visibly making the other party uncomfortable.

"Well, what do you expect with the way you dress? If you want some respect, lose the bows and put on some makeup!" 

This is my least favorite response of all. It completely shifts the blame from the person who was deliberately being hurtful to the person who was trying to happily go about their day. The fact of the matter is, I like  how I dress. It's true that I don't wear any makeup, and I will continue not to as long as I like. Am I better than other women who enjoy makeup? No! Am I worse? No! It's a personal preference, and I feel uncomfortable wearing it. Why would I change that just to please other people?

I enjoy the fact that I only own two pairs of pants and that all my dresses are printed. I'm proud of having a collection of patterned tights and being able to make my own hair accessories. I have a huge appreciation for vintage styles, and having fun emulating the colorful styles I admire so much is my favorite pastime. Your style is how you choose to express who you are--we've all heard it on What Not To Wear, and it's true. I don't blindly clip bows I make by hand into my hair and think, "goodness, I hope nobody realizes that I like cutesy things!" The truth is, I have this newfangled notion that you deserve the same amount of respect no matter what you look like. I can't stress this enough. Someone could be running around the store naked and you still wouldn't have the right to judge them on how they looked. You simply wouldn't, because it has no bearing on who they are. I shouldn't be any less deserving of respect because of what I was wearing. That's the mentality that you see all too often in more upsetting situations--victim-blaming. "Well, she was assaulted for no reason, but what was she wearing?" "Well, you were harassed while you were out enjoying an evening with your friends...but what were you wearing?" It doesn't matter. This is a very unhealthy mentality that too many people seem to share. Call me over-dramatic all you like. I refuse to perpetuate the idea that anyone deserves to be treated as less because of how they look.

This is becoming a serious problem for me, as people have always thought I looked young. You may or may not realize from looking at me that I'm actually a college graduate who's going to become a diplomat someday. You may not realize that I've been known to curse like a sailor on shore leave. You may not know my struggles or insecurities or wishes or favorite books. You'll never know unless you learn to ask me instead of going off of appearances alone. I can't help it if I look young forever--that's half the reason I refuse to turn to makeup. I don't want to force something that isn't there. Thousands of women I know have perfected their usage of products to enhance their already pretty features, but for me, personally, it would serve as more of a disguise and less as a complement. And that's okay.

What isn't okay is being expected to choose between being taken seriously and changing who I am.

It took a long time to get here! I'm not going to erase all of it and start over just because some people think that printed dresses and hair-bows make me less worthy of respect. For anyone who's encountered the same problems, don't let it make you change, either. I think some people are truly intimidated by the bravery it takes to be your true self. Who knows?

For anyone who's wondering, this was the offending outfit.




Bow: Handmade proudly by yours truly.
Shirt: Forever 21 (it has bunnies on it! How can you get angry about that?!)
Shorts: Forever 21 (I bought these on sale a long time ago)
Shoes: Old Navy 

I'm sure that woman didn't realize that I made my bow at the same time as I made a matching one for my dear long-distance friend. She probably didn't consider that my mother had picked this shirt out while we were shopping together one day, and she'd been so excited about it that I had to buy it. It always reminds me of her. Of course, I don't expect strangers to be mind-readers, but doesn't it make sense to assume that if you're going to criticize someone you don't know, you may be insulting them on a deeper level than you realize?

I plan to post countless more outfit pictures over however long I keep this blog. If my style ever changes, it will be because I decided it was time for something different, not because enough people finally made me realize I looked like a young teenager. The people who matter love the way I look--and, what's more, they love me. 

I'm sorry this turned into such a novel. Anyone who has had similar experiences can attest, however, that it only becomes more disheartening with time. It can truly be unfortunate how many people feel the need to go out of their way to bring others down.

Has a similar situation happened to you? What did you do? How do you feel about this kind of thing? I'd love to hear! 

6 comments:

  1. Katie...this story hurt my heart for you. I've been following your blog for almost a week now, and I've read all of your posts, and you seem like a really sweet, really cool gal. I think that the way you handled the situation and the things you said in your post about judging/not judging people based on appearance attest to your sweetness and coolness even more. I love your outfits, and just looking at the few pictures I've seen of you, your style seems very unique and very cute, but most importantly, it seems like something that you really enjoy and take pride in. Sadly, so few people, especially women, I think, really take pride in the way they put themselves together or think about it as a way of expressing themselves, or at the very least making themselves feel comfortable in the world. I feel like so much pressure is put on women to be "in" with hot trends in fashion or dress, rather than women being encouraged to find what best suits their body/personality. And the comments you made about the "blaming the victim" situations are very true, and very, very sad/disturbing. I had never considered before that the way we judge a person's outward appearance in day-to-day life might affect our thoughts in situations like that, where harassment is involved. It makes sense, though. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I feel like I genuinely try in every day life to look at people and not think, "Oh wow, she dresses like a streetwalker," or "He looks creepy". I think because I don't judge people based on appearance (most of the time...I'm not 100% perfect on this, but I try very hard) I'm able to comprehend why asking what victims of harassment were wearing does not constitute as a valid question. Members of my family, mostly older, more conservative folks, tend to reserve pretty harsh judgements for people based on what they wear...and it's a hard thing to get them out of. Yet they struggle with the validity of the "what was she wearing?" question. Even my mother, who was raised conservatively and is still what I consider a very open-minded, kind-hearted person, had issues with it when I tried to have that discussion with her. "Well now, Vic, I understand that if a woman wants to wear low-cut tops and shorty-shorts to a bar or wherever, she still isn't asking for it. But she should still be very careful and consider her options" and so forth. It's that darn "but" that gets me. There is no "but". The way a woman dresses should not dictate what she is or what she wants from other people. It is her choice, hopefully it is what makes her feel comfortable and confident, and it is not something she should be penalized for. The same goes for you and all other women, myself included, who have been made fun of or questioned for the way they dress.

    My response has turned into quite a long one, haha! This post is speaking to a lot of issues that are very close to my heart, so I had a lot of head-nodding and agreeing to do. I'm very sorry this happened to you, Katie, but I think you handled it gracefully, and I hope that I can follow suit the next time some local person gives me "the judgy eye" for wearing my favorite dress that has cats all over it. I hope too that maybe I can be brave enough to open up dialogues with people about it. I would like to be brave enough that if a similar situation happened to me, I could look very kindly at the woman and say, "Well now, I love the way this outfit looks on me. What's wrong with that?" Maybe it wouldn't be worth it, because people's minds can be hard to change...but it might be fun to try anyway. It's always fun to attempt the "impossible." ;) Much love to you and your fashion sense, Katie. <3

    PS: Do you have an Etsy shop? I'd totally buy a lovely little bow for my hair if you made them. Yours is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your awesome comment! :) I love reading long commentaries--I wonder if that's weird! Haha! :) I think it's wonderful that you actively try not to be judgmental. I feel like part of what makes a strong person is being able to challenge things about themselves and their views that, while socially ingrained, may not be very beneficial. You sound like a great person! :) I hope you do continue to wear your style with pride, and if you ever start a style blog, please link me! I'd love to see some outfits!

      I actually did just open a little Etsy shop after a couple months of deliberation--it's still under construction though, I'm awful at trying to decide on fair prices! :X So far I'm just going off about the middle-ground of the prices I've seen for similar products. I'd love your feedback if you checked it out, it's in my latest post--(or go to darlingminedesigns if you prefer :) )

      Thanks again! xo

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe that people are so rude (actually, I can believe it, I just don't want to)! Downright cruel is more like it. I'm glad you took the high road and didn't stoop to her level, though I'm sure the idea would be tempting for some. You look absolutely darling in this outfit (and I have the same top!), and the bow is ADORABLE! I want one! I can't even fathom what makes anyone think that they can treat others in this fashion. I recently found a picture from my blog on an internet trolling site, where people express pretty mean opinions about blogs they don't like for whatever stupid reason... I really took it to heart, and it really made me upset (and still does, when I think about it). So I completely understand how you would feel, and hearing something so unkind in person is even worse!!! This girl's behavior should be reported to her boss; it's entirely inappropriate for her to talk to a paying customer (much less anyone) in this fashion. I realize that at this point, she could just deny it, but she should be faced with disciplinary action for this. And you should hold your head high in the knowledge that you are a caring, beautiful person - inside and out.

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      I can't believe someone did that to you! Honestly, I think those internet trolling sites are mostly fueled by boredom and jealousy, because I can't imagine a negative thing someone could possibly come up with to say about you or your blog. You clearly work very hard on your outfits and photos, and I'm sure whoever started that mean post about you was just jealous! :(

      Thank you very much for your kind words. :) Lately, it feels like when it rains it pours--I can't seem to leave my house without someone commenting on how I look (be it my style or how young I seem)...I guess it's just going to have to be up to me to prove them all wrong!

      Can't wait to see your next post! xo

      Delete
  3. Omigoodness, I am so sorry for this rudeness! I wear bows and cutesy stuff all the time- and I am 25!! Who cares, grumpy ladies!!?? I am really surprised by the reception you received, but I have learned that some people are just critical by nature (I used to have an employee that always asked me "why I made my eyes look that way with eyeliner") and she would just go into it, hard. I am really sorry that you had to go through that- first of all you look absolutely adorable, and there is nothing wrong with your outfit. Second of all- I am so glad that even though you faced this cruelness you are not willing to sacrifice who you are (for a few really jealous and insecure people). You look awesome! The only reason someone would pick on you is that they are jealous and insecure of themselves. Keep being you, you are beautiful!!! (This is exactly what I have decided no matter what people think of me and my crazy outfits, haha!)

    ~Alyssa
    www.butterfliesonmars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alyssa! :D Thanks for stopping by again! I love getting comment notifications! Haha :)

      I totally agree with you. I love your style from what I've seen, and I'm always really excited to see other people confidently rocking their great looks! I'll try to remember all these sweet comments next time someone's being negative to me.

      Can't wait to see more cute outfit posts! xo

      Delete