Friday, April 11, 2014

birthday post I : cake!


One of the girls in our class told her parents that both her teachers had celebrated birthdays this week. They surprised us by coming to school at snack time today with a cake! It was such a sweet gesture, and it was a huge bonus that this thing was loaded with fruit. I mean...look at it!

It was from a bakery in a city not too far from here, and the box it came in was written partially in Chinese (I'm almost positive it was from an Asian market I frequent some weekends, but I could be wrong!). Her parents explained that, being from such a bakery, this was much lighter and less sweet than traditional American cakes. As a result, our students seemed a little unimpressed with it. I, however, could probably eat this entire dessert. It was fluffy and refreshing, plus there was actually another layer of fruit inside the cake! The frosting actually appeared to be whipped cream, which is the best if you're eating strawberries, pineapples or grapes.

In short, I was extremely touched and even more excited at the prospect of an entire cake made out of my favorite fruits.



Her parents stayed for snack, and it was really cute--her dad tried to get everyone to go around and thank us for something special we did for them (for example, he told them that thanking us for putting their backpacks away was a good answer)--but, given that they're all three, their answers were the same: "Thanks for bringing us a cake!" They wanted to get right down to the sweets! I couldn't really blame them--I had to hand out slices to everyone before I enjoyed one myself, which was harder than it sounded when I saw that second layer of fruit in the middle. ;)

On days like this, I have to say, child care has some definite perks over other fields. On top of that, you literally get to be as excited about your birthday as you want and know that your kids will be just as happy. Well...the sugar high that follows isn't exactly ideal, but the general enthusiasm makes up for it!

I'll post soon about my actual birthday--it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment